The most wholesome curry conceivable. Packed with warming spices, protein, and dark leafy greens. Creamy, rich, and filling! instagram.com/gillianmakingthings/
This recipe was developed during the cold winter months, as an easy, filling, and healthy dinner to keep warm and cosy! Serve it with rice and/or naan (although it's great by itself too). This is one of my go-to meal prep dishes, as it stores well and I never get tired of it! It also freezes like a dream, so feel free to make extra and keep it in your freezer for whenever you want it!
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic grated or minced
- 4 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 ¼ cups red lentils rinsed
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp unsweetened smooth peanut butter (unsweetened, smooth almond and cashew butter work well too!)
- 110 g Kale torn into bite-sized pieces
- Heat a large pot over medium/low heat. Add the oil, garlic, and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant and very lightly browned.
- Add the garam masala, curry powder, chili powder, ground coriander, ground turmeric, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly to develop the flavours.
- Add the water, lentils, crushed tomato, and chickpeas and stir to combine. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to get any browned bits incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low and cover pot. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until lentils are cooked through. If the lentils are not cooked through after the 20 minutes, add a few tablespoons of water and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk, lemon juice, peanut butter, and kale, stirring to combine. Cover and simmer for an additional 8 minutes to wilt the kale and thicken the curry.
- Serve with rice and/or flatbread and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!