This tofu feta packs a flavorful punch and adds a nice thick and chewy texture to your salads, pasta, Caprese kebabs, or whatever you want to add it to. Pressed medium-to-firm tofu is marinated overnight in a medley of spices, vinegar, and miso or vegetable stock. The leftover marinade can be used as a delicious Italian dressing or sauce. Skip the oil and use extra vinegar or water for an oil-free version.
I was a little skeptical when I heard of tofu feta thinking it wasn't possible to make tofu taste so tangy and delicious. Boy, was I wrong! This tastes better the longer you marinate it. I found a few recipes and adapted them to my taste. This is a go-to recipe that I enjoy regularly. It's simple and delicious and pairs well with so many different dishes. I often even eat it on its own, too.
- 1 block of tofu medium or firm
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- red pepper flakes optional
- optional: fresh herbs and/or fresh diced chili to taste
- Press water out of tofu 30-60 minutes (use a tofu press or wrap in a towel and place heavy items on top, such as a cast-iron skillet)
- Prepare marinade by whisking all other ingredients together
- Cut tofu into cubes
- Place tofu in a jar or another airtight container
- Cover tofu with marinade (top with extra olive oil if needed to completely cover)
- Place jar in the fridge and let marinate for at least 2 hours (8-48 hours for best result)
- Periodically shake the jar or flip it over to evenly distribute marinade (some separation will occur)
- Enjoy! Will keep 2-3 weeks refrigerated.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!