This Vegan Carbonara has a cashew-based cream and goes great with any pasta. A simple vegan dish perfect for a stay-at-home date night!
Carbonara sauce is one of those non-vegan delights. It’s a dish I enjoyed before moving towards a whole-foods, plant-based diet. There was something so divine about the saltiness and egg flavored, creamy sauce. A true Italian cook wouldn’t classify this recipe as Italian. In fact, I think most Italians would think this recipe is quite insulting. Lol. However, times are changing and we are always adapting recipes to cater to dietary needs. I happen to think this is the closest thing to a carbonara sauce I’ve ever tried. Is it different to the traditional sauce? Absolutely! Is it delicious, healthy and simple. Hell yes! Give this one a go – I promise your taste buds will be dancing!
- 1 leek
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups raw mushrooms
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon black salt
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
Prepare the Cashew Cream:
- Soak the cashews for up to an hour (the longer you soak the easier it is to blend).
- Place cashews, water, milk and nutritional yeast in a food processor or high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. You may need to add more water if your cashews are not soft enough. You want the mixture to resemble a pouring cream. You don’t want it thick as it will thicken some more when you cook it.
- Once ready, set aside.
Prepare the Sauce Base:
- Finely chop/crush garlic.
- Halve, wash and thinly slice the leek.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the leek and garlic and sauté until the leeks have softened.
- Chop the mushrooms into slices and add to the leeks and garlic and cook for about four minutes until the mushroom start to break down.
- Add the cashew cream, add your salt and cook on low heat for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Stir through your favourite pasta. In this case I’ve paired my sauce with spaghetti.
- TIP: Black salt is used to give the sauce an ‘egg like’ flavour. It’s quite strong so be careful how much you add. You can still make this sauce without the black salt. Simply add more regular salt. It will alter the flavour slightly but will still be amazing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!