A healthy and delicious dish consisting of all the good stuff including butternut squash, quinoa, and kale!
I love a nice healthy meal during the holidays and post holidays. This meal combines so many amazing and healthy foods in one big butternut squash bowl!
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 seeded pomegranate yields about 1 ¼ cups
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa any variety I used white
- 4 cups fresh kale chopped
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 cup walnuts/pecans chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tsps fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1) Preheat oven to 375⁰F.
- 2) Wash the squash cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds.
- 3) Arrange your butternut squash on a lined baking sheet and coat both sides with a tablespoon with olive oil
- 3) Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a teaspoon of fresh chopped rosemary. Cook for 1 to 1.5 hours
- 4) In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups of vegetable broth with ½ cup of orange juice. Add in 1 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. of fresh chopped rosemary and bring to a boil.
- 5)Add in 1 cup of quinoa.
- 6) Reduce heat, cover, and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- 7) After 10 minutes when quinoa begins to get puffy stir quinoa and add in chopped kale.
- 8)Remove from heat, and let the kale and quinoa sit for 5 to 10 minutes for the kale to steam and the quinoa to absorb more liquid.
- 9) Meanwhile, take the squash halves out of the oven, let it cool slightly, then scoop out the insides with a spoon and into a bowl. leave about an inch of squash around the edge of the skins. You want the squash to be sturdy enough for a bowl.
- 10) Cut up the squash in the bowl into little pieces.
- 11) Add the squash and pomegranate to the pot with the kale and quinoa.
- 12) Then, add in the garlic, chopped walnuts, garlic powder, and a teaspoon of rosemary.
- 12)Mix it all up and taste test. Salt if needed.
- 13) Stuff the squashes with the mixture and top with a 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!