Sliced mushroom pieces are marinated in a few basic ingredients, such as liquid smoke and maple syrup, to give it that sweet and smoky bacon flavor. Ideal for BLTs, tofu scrambles, or paired with a seitan steak.
I enjoyed BLT sandwiches prior to going vegan and found some lovely alternatives such as this mushroom recipe or even using smoked tofu. I've seen some people use banana peel or rice paper but have yet to try those versions. I like that mushrooms are a whole food and so versatile. This is a regular go-to recipe in my home.
- Sliced mushrooms portobello or button mushrooms will work
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- dried chili flakes
- garlic powder to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- Spread mushroom slices in an even layer on a large plate or sheet pan
- Whisk syrup, liquid smoke, and spices into a bowl or measuring cup
- drizzle this marinade over the mushrooms
- top with extra seasonings to taste, cracked black pepper is especially good
- marinate for at least an hour
- Fry on a skillet or bake in oven until desired crispiness
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!