There are days when we have the time to toast spices, grind our own spice mixes and leave the curry to cook for hours. When you don’t have the time for any of that, this is an uncomplicated, easy vegan curry recipe that you can turn to.
- 1 whole Onion diced
- 5 cloves Garlic Finely chopped
- 2 thumb sized pieces Ginger Finely chopped
- 3 teaspoon Indian curry powder
- 2 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 kilogram Tomato Passata or canned diced tomato
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 1/2 each Red chili Add chili to taste. Half a chili, de-seeded adds sufficient flavor and heat.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 blocks Tofu Pressed and diced
- 1 small bunch Fresh coriander
- Start by sauteeing the onion until it is soft and gaining a bit of colour. If you prefer to cook without oil, proceed with water sauteeing.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for a minute.
- Add the spices and saute to release the flavours. If the bottom of your pot or pan looks like it is burning, add a splash of water or vegetable stock to deglaze.
- Pour in the tomato and bring to a simmer.
- Break off the coriander stems and add to the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the coconut milk and remove from heat. Once cool, blend until smooth.
- Combine the Tofu and sauce (The quantity of sauce used depends on your preference). I like to let the Tofu sit in the sauce for about 30 minutes. I find it minimises the Tofu taste.
- Serve with couscous, rice etc, fresh coriander and Raita.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!