This Pumpkin Lentil Soup is a hearty dish inspired by Indian flavors and a perfect meal for the Fall Season. The ingredients are simple and easy to combine and cook at any given time. The spice blend can be reduced to only the curry powder if you don't wish to use the other spices as it still will turn out as tasty. And the almond butter addition is optional but it gives it a richer taste and a more fun way to add a twist to such a soup.
I love to start dinner with warm meals during the fall season. And sometimes I just want to feel satiated from one dish as we don't always have time to create more than one dish at a time. So I thought why not combine Lentils with Pumpkin, one of the most commonly used vegetable during the fall season. This hearty soup is not just an appetizer. It's a filling meal by itself. and I love the Indian-inspired spices which I usually add to many of my dishes as Indian cuisine has always been one of my favorites.
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger grated
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp ground Coriander
- 1 cup dry Red Lentils
- 1 can Pumpkin Purée 15 oz
- 5 cups and 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 tbsp Almond Butter optional
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- Drizzle of any Plant Milk
- Cilantro for garnishing
- 1. Heat the oil in a large pot then add the diced onion, minced garlic cloves and grated ginger to sauté them over medium heat for 4 min until softened.
- 2. Add the spices (Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander, Chili, Curry and Garam Masala) and continue to sauté for a minute more until fragrant.
- 3. Add the lentils, pumpkin purée and vegetable broth, stirring them for a minute. Place a lid over the pot and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 4. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and keep stirring occasionally, for around 20 min.
- 5. Add the almond butter, lemon juice and salt and pepper while stirring for 3 more min.
- 6. Pour a drizzle of any plant milk and serve with chopped cilantro and bread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!